Innovative coating products meeting ecological and industrial trends
To address the fast growing coatings market in China, Arkema develops a wide and comprehensive range of resins with outstanding performances, the result of the latest innovations of its laboratories. These product ranges have been developed with environmental protection in mind, and for some, from biosourced raw materials.
Arkema China’s Coatings portfolio is unique in the market through a diversified choice of materials and technologies, covering the entire spectrum of requirements for industrial coatings, architectural coatings, decorative paints, specialty coatings and adhesives:
- Acrylic monomers
- Acrylic emulsions for waterborne paints
- Polyester and alkyd resins for solvent-based paints
- Polyester powder resins and ultra high solid content resins
- PVDF fluorinated polymers for long-lasting exterior coatings from Kynar®
- Waterborne rheology additives, dispersing agents and thickeners from Coatex
- Specialty acrylate and methacrylate resins from Sartomer
Eco-friendly products and technologies
The use of oil-based solvents in paint manufacture is increasingly constrained by regulations designed to reduce volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions. Arkema’s solvent-free, water-based and powder paints support this trend, offer environmentally-friendly coating products to its customers in China, and fulfill the requirements of environmentally sound chemistry, for example:
- SNAP® nano-acrylic polymers, for high gloss premium paint binders, with no APEO, formaldehyde or ammonia.
- Celocor® opaque polymers offer a partial replacement of TiO2 to improve the hiding power of paints as part of the cost-saving formulation.
- Ecodis™ and Coadis™ dispersing agents, and Rheotech™ and Coapur™ thickeners are additives dedicated to waterborne formulations allowing the fine-tuning of paint properties. All are solvent-free, APEO-free, heavy-metal-free, and with zero VOC additives.
Arkema, winner of the Ringier Technology Innovation Award
Arkema’s range of products for coating applications is regularly rewarded by one of the most influential industrial awards in China, the Ringer Technology Innovation prize.
This award is presented every year to a select group of innovators in China's coatings industry who develop new products or new technologies for production efficiency, cost effectiveness and user convenience, which can result in energy saving and more responsible clean manufacturing in the coatings industry.
In the coatings market, growing demand for environmentally sound products is matched by ever more stringent requirements related to durability and thermal insulation. Arkema products fully meet these expectations, offering high performance coatings and additives in China such as:
- Kynar® 500® FSF® PVDF resins are designed for coatings to protect the exterior of buildings, for use in roofing, siding, window and door frames, metal trim components and more.
- Solventborne resins such as Synocure® acrylic polyol systems and Synolac® alkyd systems are designed for industrial applications including automotive refinishing, coil coatings that can be applied directly to metal, and protective and marine coatings.
- UV-curable pure acrylic emulsion such as Encor® 2718 can be formulated for industrial wood finishes, with premium transparency system, fast drying and high durability.
Kynar Aquatec®: the ecological grade within the PVDF coating technology
For over 45 years Arkema has been supplying, under the brand name Kynar®, a high-end PVDF grade for external coatings used in tall buildings and industrial structures, renowned for its durability and excellent UV and weathering resistance. Building on this success, the Group has developed Kynar Aquatec®, a PVDF resin available for the first time as an aqueous formulation which can be applied using traditional painting tools on any type of support (wood, cement, tar, metal). As a truly eco-friendly product, the new Kynar Aquatec® resin can reflect sunlight to help reduce air-conditioning costs and achieve major energy savings.
In 2010, Kynar Aquatec® was awarded the Pierre Potier prize for “chemistry innovation serving sustainable development”.
To deliver tough, long-lasting, and insulating coating systems, Sartomer, an Arkema subsidiary, produces and markets a full range of specialty acrylate and methacrylate monomers and oligomers for the UV-curing technology. Their instant drying property can increase productivity while lowering energy consumption. These 100% solids products make it possible to apply high quality coatings onto all types of substrates (paper, wood, plastic, fiberglass, etc.).
Sartomer® (meth)acrylates and M Cure® resins: sustainable raw materials within the very heart of UV-curing coatings
The M Cure® product range has been specially designed to enhance the performance of two-part epoxy/amine cure systems, and can be used to overcome the disadvantages of typical glycidyl ether diluents/modifiers. This product range can be adapted to a wide range of applications, including adhesives, industrial coatings, polymer concrete for repair and restoration, industrial flooring, marine primers, and traffic paint.